Choose the right skirt.
Not all minis are equal. Some have more space than others. The classic A-line and bias cuts flatter most women, whilst the tighter variety tends to work best on the long-legged, slim, younger wearer.
- Very tight, short, or otherwise revealing minis tend to be favored by younger wearers, or those with good physiques.
- A-line skirts This is the basic skirt that has been customized to a great extent. With slight flare having rough shape of capital letter ‘A’, it fits at the waist while slightly touching hips and thighs; it is broader at the hem.
- Older wearers are likely to feel more comfortable in minis that don’t cling. Consider such choices as kilts, wraps and pleats.The Early Show advice also suggests that darker colors are better for a more professional and elegant look.
- A high-waisted mini can give the impression of hanging lower on the leg than it really does, making it more work appropriate.
- A casual, mid-length mini goes with everything and is good for everyday use.
Consider pairing your skirt with tights, stockings or leggings.
- If you’d like to dress your skirt up with nude tights, pair them with a closed-toe shoe.
- For an older, mature look, consider opaque tights. Choose black, chocolate brown, plums and steel greys for the colors. Leave lighter colors to the teenage crowd, as they tend to emphasize their legs.
- Leggings or half-leggings can make a miniskirt more modest, sporty, and versatile.
- For a spunkier look that works especially well with simple skirts, buy fishnet or patterned tights.
- Over-the-knee socks also look good with miniskirts.
Wear the right shoes.
Experiment in the mirror and see what looks best with your
mini. Here are some suggestions:
- Boots of differing lengths and miniskirts are a classic pairing.
- High heels can spice up a miniskirt and make your legs long longer.
- For a more girlish look, wear flat shoes such as ballet flats or flip-flops.
- To slim your legs, avoid wearing shoes that are too dainty or delicate, as these will make your legs look larger.
- Wedge shoes work well because their heaviness counteracts the shortness of the mini skirt and provides an “anchor”.
Give your legs a boost.
Most of us aren’t blessed with long, skinny legs. That doesn’t mean the mini is out; it means paying a little extra attention to what enhances your legs.
- If you want to bare your legs, consider getting them waxed. Waxing plucks the hair from the roots and generally lasts longer.
- If you need tanned legs quickly, a fake tan suffices. Try a tanning salon or special makeup, but be aware of the potential health threats.
- If you’d like to keep your legs pale, apply sunscreen to your legs daily and avoid tanning. In some areas, such as many parts of Asia, being and staying pale is valued.
- If you don’t want to wear stockings but would like to enhance the look of your legs immediately, blend some sheer highlighting powder or lotion up the front of your legs. This will make your legs look thinner, and more toned. Start just above your ankle and blend up along your shinbone, avoid the knee and continue the line up the front of your thigh. Make sure the line is very well blended so that there is a subtle sheen. Do not use highlighter that is too glittery or colored.
Wear the right top.
The top you choose to wear with your skirt can dictate how you pull off the whole look. Consider:
- If you’re going for a casual look, T-shirts tend to work well with most minis.
- For more elegant wear, a blazer or jacket is a good choice.
- Wear long jackets with short skirts and shorter jackets with longer skirts.